Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Week One Reading Reflection - Rethinking High School

The concept and idea of a small school really resonated with me. I went to what I would consider a small high school, approximately 750 students. I felt like I was actually a part of the community. I knew a little about every classmate and even those older and younger. I knew every teacher, and mostly every teacher was approachable. My experience observing at the larger schools is that the students do not necessarily feel like they belong. The students just go through a day of school by going from class to class, and not really experiencing any other social aspects. For this example, I felt like even though they were aiming for any student to attended their school, they received a certain group of people. For example, they had no football team, swim facilities, etc. Had they had a wider range of activities, I feel like there may have been other students who would have considered this school. Like they stated in the book, they feel like they got the risk takers to enroll in their school.
I feel that most of the Second to None components were touched upon in chapter 1. Both talked about the teacher always reflecting and learning, creating a new schedule for the school, support and encourage all students, create student centered learning, change current assessment practices, and teach students skills that will help them when they leave, not just content. I would like to further investigate the idea of community experiences and relationships. It is important to find something you enjoy even if it is outside of the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment